Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Real Housewife from La Canada

Now that we are a household dominated by boys, sports rule our airwaves. At this time of the year, we are never without a sporting option, college or professional. Football is in full force. Saturdays are devoted to college ball and Sundays are taken up by the pros. The Monday night football tradition continues and seems to have spread to every other night of the week. The baseball season gets longer every year as the boys of October move into November. And, prideful of our world champion Lakers, Los Angeles is already embroiled in preseason basketball buzz. My sons love watching with my husband who is the consummate sports fan. We are allowed brief conversation during commercials but most of the time we are engrossed in instant replays and post-game analysis. As I drift into a numbing ennui, I make an ill fated attempt to change the channel. Thrice rebuffed, I usually retreat to another venue.
My daughter has a much better success rate at gaining control of the TV remote control. On her watch, our viewing habits were tranformed into a steady feed of pop culture and reality programming. It always amazed me how she could corral her brothers to sit and watch "The Real Housewives", (the New Jersey ones are her favorite), "America's Next Top Model" or "Project Runway". She and her dad loved to watch cooking shows together. They both love Paul Dean, Rachael Ray and Bobby Flay but not the Barefoot Contessa. She even got me to watch "The Hills" with her, a horrible show that I embraced as a lesson on what not to do. I drew the line at "Dog the Bounty Hunter" as I found it visually offensive. As much as I do not truly miss all those crappy shows, I do miss the chatter and laughter as we parsed the shows plots and characters. Every family searches for ways to spend time together and enjoy each other's company. I hesitate to admit it but we have been guilty of bonding through television. Maybe I should keep watching "The Hills".

No comments:

Post a Comment